Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cookies and Rain


We're having our first rains of the year, along with the kind of gray skies that make indoor spaces feel cave-like. It's the kind of weather that makes me want to just migrate from bed to couch, watch Colin Firth play Mr. Darcy, and make something sweet.

My dad and I love these cookies. They didn't quite turn out this time - they never really set. I don't know if it's because I tried adding less sugar, or because I let the sugar mixture boil a little too long while I was measuring out the other ingredients. Despite the flawed presentation, they are still delicious!

Here's the recipe. They're so easy and hardly make any mess - perfect for lazy mornings or quick weeknight desserts.

Unbaked Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk (regular or evaporated)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
3 cups rolled or quick oats
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (optional)
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Bring sugar, milk and butter to boil in saucepan. Boil exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat and add oats, cocoa, vanilla, and optional ingredients if desired. Quickly drop by tablespoon full onto waxed paper. Let cool.

No comments: