Monday, August 17, 2009

Baking

I have mentioned several times the astounding number of desserts that my dear friend baked, dipped, and frosted for us. I hope one day I'll be able to do something just as generous for her.

Even though she had never tested most of the recipes, we only had one disaster.
That is our wedding to-do list in the background, much of which was happily ignored as the evening approached. I was too busy bumbling around the house. I was so full of joy and nerves that I kept forgetting what I was supposed to be doing, which meant I would often walk into a room and stand there looking lost. So Erin set me up dipping truffles and peppermint patties. For HOURS.
It was an incredible mess, but that time I spent with her in our kitchen is something I'll always treasure.

In the days leading up to the wedding, the kitchen was our gathering place. If you had two legs to stand on, you had two arms to lend. To see all of our friends together in that space was incredible. It filled me with joy.


I indulged in a slice of wedding cake before the wedding even began, as our dear officiant and I sat in the sleeping-bag filled living room and finalized our ceremony script.
I will never forget them, not only because they were beautiful and delicious, but because of the community that made them and the love, frustration, patience, and time they put into them. For that, Erin, I can never thank you enough.

No comments: